The Great Global Warming Swindle UK TV Channel 4 documentary produced by Martin Durkin. Available free - just click above - and get it from YouTube.
States of Fear: Science or Politics? A DVD featuring science writer Michael Crichton. In discussing not just environmental issues but the increasing politicization of science itself, best-selling author Michael Crichton examines the intersection of media, politics, and science, inspiring viewers to challenge old assumptions and to search beneath the surface of issues as they seek to discover the truth. 117 minutes. $19.95.
Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years by Professors Dennis T. Avery & S. Fred Singer (Rowman & Littlefield). 260 pages packed with scientific data and facts but in an extremely well set out and highly readable (by anyone) manner. Read more about this book below.
If you only read one book make it this one!
The Chilling Stars: A new theory of climate change by Henrik Svensmark is Director of Sun-Climate Research at the Danish National Space Centre & Nigel Calder (Science writer)
Below is a Drudge Report article which sums up the content of these two excellent books very well.
Two powerful new books say today’s global warming is due not to human activity but primarily to a long, moderate solar-linked cycle. Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years, by physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery was released just before Christmas. The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder (Icon Books), is due out in March.
Singer and Avery note that most of the earth’s recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth’s last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites.
Unstoppable Global Warming shows the earth’s temperatures following variations in solar intensity through centuries of sunspot records, and finds cycles of sun-linked isotopes in ice and tree rings. The book cites the work of Svensmark, who says cosmic rays vary the earth’s temperatures by creating more or fewer of the low, wet clouds that cool the earth. It notes that global climate models can’t accurately register cloud effects.
The Chilling Stars relates how Svensmark’s team mimicked the chemistry of earth’s atmosphere, by putting realistic mixtures of atmospheric gases into a large reaction chamber, with ultraviolet light as a stand-in for the sun. When they turned on the UV, microscopic droplets—cloud seeds—started floating through the chamber.
“We were amazed by the speed and efficiency with which the electrons [generated by cosmic rays] do their work of creating the building blocks for the cloud condensation nuclei,” says Svensmark.
The Chilling Stars documents how cosmic rays amplify small changes in the sun’s irradiance fourfold, creating 1-2 degree C cycles in earth’s temperatures: Cosmic rays continually slam into the earth’s atmosphere from outer space, creating ion clusters that become seeds for small droplets of water and sulfuric acid. The droplets then form the low, wet clouds that reflect solar energy back into space. When the sun is more active, it shields the earth from some of the rays, clouds wane, and the planet warms.
Unstoppable Global Warming documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. The Chilling Stars explains the why and how.
(Extract from the review on the Conservative Book Club website):
Christopher C. Horner tears the cover off the Left's manipulation of environmental issues for political purposes - and lays out incontrovertible evidence for the fact that catastrophic man-made global warming is just more Chicken-Little hysteria, not actual science. He explains why, although Al Gore and his cronies among the media elites and UN globalists endlessly bleat that "global warming" is an unprecedented global crisis, they really think of it as a dream come true. It's the ideal scare campaign for those who are doing all they can to secure strict control over society, business, and the minutest details of individual life. For, as Horner explains, if global warming really were as bad as the Leftist doomsayers insist it is, then no policy imaginable could "solve" it. According to the logic of the greens' own numbers, no matter how much we sacrifice there would still be more to do. That makes global warming the bottomless well of excuses for the relentless growth of Big Government.
- Proof: media hype and deceptive Al Gore slide shows notwithstanding, greenhouse gas concentrations demonstrably do not determine temperatures
- The mainstream media's routinely sloppy, inaccurate reporting about evidence of global warming and other environmental matters
- More proof: The hole in the ozone layer - the 1980s manmade environmental crisis - was caused by the Antarctic atmosphere being too cold
- How environmentalists throughout modern history have instilled fear over one looming "crisis" or another with the aim of increasing government control over things big and small
- Why the environmental alarmists do whatever they can to avoid actual debate
- The environmentalist movement: not a grassroots phenomenon driven by scruffy idealists but an elite-driven movement that lards the coffers of pressure campaigns with wealth - commonly inherited, often corporate, and far too-frequently looted from the taxpayer
- Recent studies that have shown that the environment is actually flourishing - and how the greens have turned even these into evidence of our imminent doom
- "To feed a starving child is to exacerbate the world population problem": the environmentalists' openly anti-human agenda
- How real pollution problems can be addressed through the technological improvements that the Left is doing all it can to obstruct
- Al Gore's global warming jihad: how it will lead to massively higher costs and direct or indirect energy rationing - and probably many measures that are even worse
- How much of the budget for environmental pressure groups comes directly from taxpayers -- through grants for public "education" and congressional schemes designed to subsidize the greens' lawyers
- Green lunacy run amok: how even respectable political figures (and Slick Willie) say that the environmental damage caused by American industry is a greater threat than terrorism
- Why, as with other political crusades that fail in the arena of representative democracy, the greens now see the courts and supranational bodies as their best hopes
- How environmental policies come with a cost, often to the society as a whole, decreasing wealth, and so harming health - dangers the average environmentalist ignores
- How greens worship primitive lifestyles from afar, while those mired in them would kill to escape them
- How, almost without fail, global warming skeptics are charged with being stooges of industry - a charge that neither addresses the skeptic's criticism or question, nor reflects the fact that most of "industry" now actually supports the alarmists' agenda
- Ethanol: sobering evidence that it might not be good for the environment - and how the damage to soil from single-crop farming is probably more real than global warming
- How the risks of climate change policy far outweigh the risks that might realistically be expected as climate continues to change
Shattered Consensus: The True State of Global Warming by Patrick J. Michaels with chapters from ten different scientists (see what I mean about a science consensus) which demonstrate the remarkable differences between what we hear in the media and the known facts, including the deep-rooted problems with computer simulated modelling. A superb book.
Useless Arithmetic: Why Environmental Scientists Can't Predict TheFuture by Orrin H. Pilkey & Linda Pilkey-Jarvis. Valuable new book! A new book which points out just how hopeless current computer modelling techniques are - and why it makes the 'art' of climate change modelling impossible.
The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World by Professor Bjorn Lomborg. A mega-tome classic and now available at a vastly reduced price.
State of Fear by Michael Crichton. If you prefer your insight to come in novel form then here is where to start. Crichton is a writer with a science background author of Jurassic Park et al. In this book however he manages to show how the science agenda is often skewed by the pursuit of massive grants and how the mass media revel in scaremongering stories - global warming being the biggest of all. It contains real science facts and data.